From Divorce To Drunk Driving Or Creating A Will, The Morgan Law Office Is Here To Help

Helping Settle Fair And Transparent Child Support Obligations

A parent’s rights and obligations to their child don’t stop even after divorce. In Texas, the nonconservator parent usually serves as the “obligor,” paying child support to the “obligee,” the other parent serving as conservator of the child.

Although this arrangement makes sense on paper – the conservator has custody of the children while the nonconservator pays them to continue rearing their kids – there could be disagreements over the amounts the parent must pay.

Perhaps you’re an obligor, and you find that the amount you must pay for child support is unfairly large. Or maybe you are an obligee, and you think the amount the other parent has to pay is too low to support your child.

We, attorneys Brent and Piper Morgan of The Morgan Law Office, are ready to support you in child support and other family law matters. We leverage our 40 years of experience to help you understand how much child support your young one needs. Whether you are the obligor or obligee, we can help you request a court to review its child support decision to ensure a fair arrangement.

How Is Child Support Determined?

The amount of child support a nonconservator parent must pay is largely determined by their income level and the number of children that require support. Texas law suggests the following percentages of the nonconservator parent’s net resources to be set aside for child support:

  • 20% for one child
  • 25% for two children
  • 30% for three children
  • 35% for four children
  • 40% for five children
  • Not less than 40% for six or more children

A court can adjust these percentages based on either the parent’s circumstances or the child’s needs. The state also has provisions for medical support, so the nonconservator parent may have to contribute more to help with their child’s continued medical care.

Modifying Child Support Amounts

If you are a parent and you disagree with the child support amount decided by a court, you can still ask the court to go over its plan and reassess the financial situation of you and your former partner.

Alternatively, if you experience a significant material change in your circumstances – such as losing a job or your home being destroyed by fire – you may also request a court to modify your current child support arrangement.

In both cases, you’ll need a lawyer who can properly represent you and fight to ensure adequate child support is being provided. We are always ready to hear your case and provide you with legal support.

Call The Morgan Law Office For Experienced Child Support Guidance

The Morgan Law Office in Midland serves the local community and surrounding counties. Whether it’s child support, child custody or visitation rights, let our attorneys advise and represent you. Call us at 432-307-6507 or send us an email for an initial consultation.